Cement Tile Specs and Technical Information
- Tiles made of cement and composed of two layers: Wear layer or colored layer and tile body.
- Cement tiles are completely hand made. The color layer is prepared in batches and every component is weighed in order to guarantee color consistency. The color is mixed in a horizontal mixer that guarantees the homogenization of the mixture.
- The color is then mixed with water and hand poured into the different molds. The thickness of the color layer will always be between 3 and 5 millimeters. Two layers of cement and sand are poured on top of the color layer and then the tile is pressed using a hydraulic press which applies 1,700 PSI of pressure.
- The following day the tiles are soaked in water in order to achieve water saturation of the piece. This guarantees proper cement hydration. The tiles are left to dry for 10 days and then hand inspected. Tiles are ready for shipment 28 days after they’ve been manufactured. At this stage the cement in the body and the color surface will have obtained 98% of its ultimate strength.
- Wear Layer or Color layer
3-5 mm thickness affixed to the tile body by 1,500-1,700 PSI mechanical pressure. The layer is composed of:
- White Portland Cement
- Marble Dust
- Silica Sand
- Calcium Carbonate
- Mineral Pigments for Color (i.e. Iron, Cobalt and Chromium Oxides)
- Tile Body
10 –12 mm in thickness, this part of the tile is composed of:
- Gray Portland Cement
- Calcium carbonate
- For 20x20 cm tile:
- Length/width: +/- 0.4 mm
- Height: 0.7mm
- 20 cm x 20 cm (8” x 8”)
- 1.3 kg/tile (2.9 lbs)
- 32.5 kg/m2 (6.53 lbs/sqf)
- 25 tiles/m2 (2.25 tiles per sqf)
Average Coefficient of Friction
- Unpolished / dry: 0.88
- Unpolished / wet: 0.92
- Polished / dry: 0.83
- Polished / wet: 0.68
- Slip Prevention Rating – R9 as tested by the Berufsgenossenschaftliches Institut für Arbeitsschutz (BGIA) (Institute for Occupational Safety and Health – Germany), untreated raw tile.
- 3-4 Mohs - Approximately same as Black Marble
- Assessment according to DIN 18500 in preparation.
- Like concrete, cement tiles are not resistant to freeze/thaw cycles and should not be used outdoors where freezing temperatures may exist.
- Cement tiles are not resistant to acids and should be cleaned with pH neutral cleaners.
Use in Wet Areas
- A high quality effective sealant must be used for shower, spa, or pool use. Villa Lagoon tiles have been tested using sealants manufactured by Richard James Specialty Chemicals, Corporation. (http://www.rjsconline.com).
Also 14" x 14" now available in solid colors.
Some mosaic patterns are in 8" format, some in 10" format, but this chartbelow will show you all tile sizes available. Cement tile is easily cut with a standard diamond blade on a wet saw. Solid colors are available up to 14" square format.
Trim pieces for finishing out your tile walls, for thresholds, and for edging a tile floor around a room.
- 3" x 8"
- 5.5" x 8"
- 3" x 10"
- 3" x 10" right and left ends
- 4" x 10"
Skirting baseboard tiles available in 5.5" x 8" :
Pavers-(Tochos)--Relief Tile--Textured Tile
Full 80+ Color Palette to match perfect for driveways, around swimming pools, patios, etc.
The tiles also make fabulous walls...on a privacy wall around your pool or poolhouse. Around your hotub Wow!